Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I WANT IT NOW!!!

One of the most frustrating things about caring for David is his inability to understand the word patience.  For example, I made some sausage for dinner tonight.  David really likes sausage and wasn't thrilled with waiting for Rich to get home to eat dinner.  So, while I would stand at the stove and stir the green beans or make sure the sausage water hadn't boiled down, David would be hovering right behind me either asking to eat (via sign language and grunts) or pounding his chest because I said no.  My husband was delayed coming home, so this went on for over an hour.  Times like this make it hard for me to be patient and calm.

As we were driving to church I was telling Rich how impatient David was about dinner tonight, and how he was acting as if he hadn't had a bite to eat in months.  Then I got to thinking if God ever thinks of me in those same terms.  How often have I seen God's Hand working out situations in my life, but instead of waiting for "dinner" to be served I go to God and say, "I want it now!  I don't want to wait for everything to be just how You want it.  Give me what I want!"  God doesn't ever seem to be in a hurry, especially for things I want.  But God knows best and He will serve His work in my life when it's just right ~ not before, and not after.  So, the next time David starts throwing a fit because he can't have what he wants when he wants it, I'm going to remember to ask God to forgive me for my impatience. 

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

Great words.....to ponder...
lv-nancy