Friday, September 3, 2010

LIVE IN THE MOMENT!!!

We have several routines in our life, one of them involves David's Saturday morning activities.  Each Saturday morning, we take David to the store and allow him to pick out a magazine, a bag of chips and a bottle of diet pop.  This has been a part of David's routine for over twenty years.  I'm writing this on a Friday evening, a little after 5 p.m.  As soon as we walked in the door this evening, David put his lunchbox away and then came and immediately asked me using his limited sign language if he was going to get a book tomorrow.  I told him yes.  Ten minutes later he came out of his bedroom and asked me the same question again.  Ten minutes later, he came into the kitchen where I was and asked me again.  His asking and my answering him will go on all night long.  He's so focused on tomorrow morning's activity that he is unable to enjoy his Friday evening fully.  There have been times we have been traveling on vacation, but that doesn't matter.  Friday night he starts asking about his book regardless of what we are doing.

I know I am so often guilty of going to God and saying, "God, what about tomorrow?  What's going to happen?"  While today is a great day and God has blessed abundantly.  Instead of enjoying what I have, I worry about what may never be.  My goal is to enjoy tonight.  Enjoy the beautiful weather.  Enjoy the time with my husband when he gets home from work.  Enjoy the meal that I was able to cook because God gave us provisions.  I am even going to try to enjoy telling David every ten minutes that he will get his book tomorrow!  How about you ~ what will you enjoy today?

No comments: