Saturday, September 4, 2010

AM I READY FOR CHURCH?

It's Saturday evening at our house.  Rich is away at Deacon's meeting and I am finishing up some printing for Sunday school class tomorrow.  It has been my practice for many years to fully prepare for Sundays the day before so that I'm not rushed and frazzled trying to get out the door.  I've already done my ironing and by the time I go to bed tonight, everything will be ready for tomorrow. 

David loves going to church and he also prepares for Sundays without any prompting on our part.  David knows that he always gets his shower on Saturdays for Sunday, so as soon as we wake up on Saturday morning, David starts asking for his bath.  David also "supervises" me as I do the ironing to make sure that he has clothes for the next day as well.  However, David's most important preparation comes as soon as we go to bed on Saturday night; when Rich and I go into our bedroom and close the door, David immediately takes his Bible and places it on a chair by the front door.  David doesn't want to forget his Bible, because David knows he is supposed to take it to church with him and because David loves his Bible.

So, as I sit here finishing up my Saturday evening preparations, I'm wondering if I'm as ready for church as David is.  Yes, I will have all the clothes ironed.  Yes, I will have all my Sunday school paperwork packed and ready.  Yes, we will all have showered and puffed and powdered.  And yes, I will even make sure my Bible gets packed in my church bag tomorrow morning after I read it.  But sometimes, I wonder if I do all these things because I'm supposed to or because I love the Lord and I want to.  Tonight, before going to bed, I am going to make sure my heart is right and that I am doing these things because I want to.  How about you?

No comments: