Thursday, September 9, 2010

THROWING A FIT!

Today started off like every other day - everything was going great and I was even ahead of schedule!  I woke David up and got him dressed and ready for workshop.  After he was dressed I came to the kitchen and cooked him some breakfast.  Then, when it was time I told David to get his lunchbox so I could take him to work and go to work myself.  That's when the first thought of trouble entered my mind.  I couldn't find my car keys.  I tried not to panic, and I started thinking through the day before to remember where I placed the keys.  Then, the realization hit me...  the keys were locked in the car.  Yesterday was a day of shuffling cars hither and yon.  Because I didn't have any pockets in my skirt, I placed my keys in the glove box when Rich picked me up.  When we got home, I forgot to take the keys out.  By the time I realized my predicament, Rich was already long gone at work, and unable to rescue me. 

Now, I can adjust to having a day home.  There are always numerous things I can do to fill my time.  David, however, is another story.  David is autistic and does not handle change well at all.  David did not understand why one minute he is going to work and the next minute I'm telling him to put his lunch back in the fridge.  He was most upset.  So upset, in fact, that he screamed, cried and threw a fit for over nine hours.  My patience was tried all day long.  Now, it's not David's fault that I messed up his routine, but I did hope he would have some ability to be flexible.  He never did understand, and even now, twelve hours later, David is still upset and agitated.

David's behavior makes me wonder if God looks at me like I look at David.  There are times that God adjusts my life and my schedule in very unexpected ways.  I try not to throw a fit, but sometimes I do.  I try to be flexible and allow God to lead me, but sometimes I pout for hours and unfortunately, days at a time.  While trying to maintain my patience today I couldn't help but thank God for the countless times He has been patient with me and my fits.  I am so glad that "His mercy endureth forever."  Aren't you?

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

This is so true ....I am so glad
David has you to care for him and teach him so gently...What great
thoughts to learn from...
lv-nancy