Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cleaning Quietly...

Let me start by saying that I am not a neatness nut by any definition.  I am oblivious to dirt and dust.  I know it exists, but since it isn't trying to hurt me, I normally don't try to hurt it!!  However, this past weeked, the dirt was starting to bother me.  With all the rain we have had, the dog had tracked in a lot of mud.  Also, the pets are all shedding their winter coats and there were fur balls everywhere! 

Rich had to be at work very early on Monday morning, and he was able to leave the house without waking David.  I decided to try to do some cleaning while David was still sleeping.  David doesn't like when I clean - not that the act of cleaning is bothersome to him, he just does not like when the cleaning supplies are taken out of their storage locations for use.  Depending on his mood, something like moving cleaning supplies can cause him to be grumpy all day long!!

Anyway, while David was sleeping, I quietly swept the whole house.  I made sure to move slowly and to be quiet and I was careful not to bump anything that might make noise.  While cleaning quietly, I was thinking about my relationship with God.  When I have my devotions, it seems that I am able to clean my heart more thoroughly and effectively when I am slow and quiet.  If I try to rush through my time with God, I don't do a good job of getting the cobwebs of sin out of my heart.  My relationship with God may look good from those who are quickly passing by, but there is dirt in the corners.  There is a reason for God to tell us to "Be still..." 

As I sat down to have my devotions, I was happy to see dust-bunny free floors.  But I was also reminded to be sure that I took the time to make sure that I have a dust-bunny free heart, too.

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

I love this and agree wholeheartedly that those precious times when you have quiet times with God are sweet times..thank you for your words lv nancy