Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chosen...

When I was a young girl, I made a conscious CHOICE that if I had any control over the situation, I would take care of David when I became an adult. There are many things that led to this CHOICE, but it was a very determined CHOICE. Now, when I made this decision, David was not potty trained. He wasn't potty trained until he was 12 years old. David didn't behave well. He threw fits numerous times a day. He couldn't talk (still can't), he couldn't communicate in any meaningful way, and to many people he had no usefulness.

As a child, teenager and young adult, I helped take care of David. I bathed him. I shaved him. I changed his diaper. I did everything for him - not because I had to do so, but because I CHOSE to do so.

After Rich and I were married for several years, we decided it was time for David to come live with us. Again, this decision was not forced on us - it was what we CHOSE to do. When David came to live with us, it was a year of great challenges as we tried to train David to behave and obey us. For a year, he screamed and we prayed. But it was okay because we CHOSE to endure the difficulty because we love David.

Fast forward many years. David has improved in many ways, but he still has his days of being difficult and ornery. The last few days have been days of big attitude and fits from David. Yesterday afternoon, while he was throwing a fit because I wouldn't let him eat a 2nd lunch after his first lunch, I told David, "You know, it's okay that you are throwing a fit. I CHOSE to take care of you and it doesn't matter what you do!" No sooner had I said the words to David and the Holy Spirit said to me, "That's what Jesus did for you."

You see, when Jesus decided that He would willingly come to earth and die for my sins, He did so knowing that I don't behave well. He knew that I would throw fits and that I don't always communicate with Him in any useful way. And that, really, He didn't need me for anything, so in a sense I was useless to Him. But He CHOSE to come anyway. There are times that I obey and try really hard to please Jesus, but the truth is that I still have days where I am difficult and ornery. I sometimes throw a fit because God won't give me what I want or think I need. And when I do, God says to me, "It's okay. No matter what you do, I will always love you." I am CHOSEN. I am wanted. I am loved. What an overwhelming thought!

You have been CHOSEN, too. Jesus wants you and loves you just as much as He loves me. His patience is longsuffering and His love is eternal. If you have never accepted Him, do so right now. There's no better place to be than in the life of Someone that wants you - no matter your condition!

1 comment: