Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Sip vs. A Whole Bottle

Let me confess to you that I am a water-obsessed person.  I never go out without bringing a bottle of water to me.  Often several bottles of water.  As we were driving home from church today, David kept trying to drink the last swallow of water out of my water bottle.  I kept handing him his unopened, and still full bottle of water instead.  He didn't want the full bottle, he just wanted to finish off my bottle. 

David does that all the time.  He will literally hover over us while we are drinking our water and as soon as there is only a swallow left, he will try to take the bottle from us.  We always tell David to go get his own bottle and to leave our last swallow alone.

I don't know why David only wants the last dredges of our beverages, but he does.  He is happy to get the backwash and the who-knows-what germs that are on the bottle mouth.  He feels successful when he gets an almost-empty bottle of water, especially if he can sneak it from us. 

As I thought about his behavior this afternoon, I wondered how often I have been willing to settle for less than all God has for me.  Instead of reading my Bible on my own and letting God talk to me directly, I settle for reading the little devotionals that pop up in my email inbox.  Or maybe instead of spending time in prayer and communing with my Father, I settle for a song on the radio that makes me feel good. 

God wants us to have abundance - or full bottles, if you will.  John 10:10b tells us that God was "come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."  Psalms 36:8 tells us that "They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures."   There are many other instances where the Bible tells us that God intended us to do things abundantly.  We shouldn't settle for little sips of God's goodness.  We need to pursue and grasp all the abundance He has for us!  A full bottle is always better than a little sip!
 

No comments: