Monday, October 4, 2010

SICK...

David has been home sick since Wednesday.  He's had lots of drainage issues along with a deep cough and fever.  David has been so sick he's even turned food down!!  I almost called the ambulance for that!  Just kidding, a little.

Anyway, one thing I am learning when David is sick is that he stops and rests.  If he doesn't feel well, or if he is tired, he goes to sleep.  He doesn't care where he is.  David has slept quite a bit these last several days, and I'm glad because it's been helping him recover.  Yesterday morning we went to church, but David still wasn't 100%.  So, he slept through Sunday school and he slept through church.  I tried to wake him up but he would have nothing to do with it!!

While I type this David is sleeping.  I just went to check on him and I thought how peaceful he looks.  I was glad he was resting.  But I also wondered why we "normal" people don't follow his lead.  I realize that we have more responsibilities than David has, but we push ourselves.  We don't take time to get well when we are sick.  We don't take time to rest when we are tired.  We act as if the whole world will collapse if we don't do whatever we think we should do. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe that if someone is counting on you, it is imperative to do whatever it takes to get the job done.  But how often do we insist on doing the job ourselves instead of asking for help.  We have a martyr personality, as if suffering though some task will bring us accolades and awards.  Usually, all it brings is a bad attitude because of exhaustion and frustration. 

So, as I'm preaching to myself, I'm going to try to follow David's lead and take care of myself.  The Bible says we are to love others as we love ourselves.  We always look at this verse on how to treat others,  but maybe we should look at it as an example of how to treat ourselves!!

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

Great words....to take to heart!
Thank you
love, nancy