Thursday, May 8, 2008

How Long Does Your Attitude Last?

This afternoon has been a rough one for David. When I picked him up from his workshop, he was very agitated. As we drove past a Burger King on the way home without stopping, he become very vocal about his frustrations. All evening, he's been annoyed with us, for no apparant reason. My guess is something happened at the workshop that upset him and his routine and it has carried over into our evening. I prepared a dinner that David likes, we have given him a little treat for his dessert, but he's still upset about something that happened several hours ago.

As we have tried to "cheer" David up tonight, I've thought about how often I have taken some frustration or upset in my life and allowed it to saturate all other areas of my life. Maybe someone said something at work that hurt my feelings, so I stew about it all day and then my husband comes home to a grumpy wife. Or, maybe I feel a little neglected at home so I'm grumpy at work all day. (Rich is wonderful and doesn't neglect me... although sometimes my selfishness says he does!!) I've known people who have stewed on things for days, and even weeks, and it was always so difficult to spend a lot of time with those people.

This is an area of my life that I must work on constantly. The Bible says in Psalm 119:165, "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Every time I allow myself to be offended, and to stay offended, I'm exposing to all who see that I don't love the Bible like I should. By nature, I'm a critical spirit, and tonight has been another reminder that I need to watch my spirit and my attitude!

4 comments:

Nancy M. said...

Another great post! I agree and need to constantly watch my attitude as well and ask for Gods help.

Becky said...

Great thought Noel! I need to watch my attitude sometimes:)

Trish said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

Noel,
Now you are stepping on toes!!!
Everyone has bad days, including me. But, it is how you take that bad day, time, or experience and allow God to show you a new truth. With a handicapped person I believe that is the most purist form of love. They can't give anything back.

Is that how it is with God? What
can we give God? Our love is the
only thing that we can truly give
Him. Of course, with our attitude,
it is how we handle the situations
that God allows us to go through that God can teach us and mold us
to be what God wants us to be.
Bro. John Bishop was such a blessing when he was here at First Baptist last year. And he puts us all to shame. Life can be hard, but God is ALWAYS GOOD!!!

God Bless You,
Rachelle