Friday, November 12, 2010

HAVE YOU LEFT YOUR MARK?

Our home has two bathrooms on the main floor.  One bathroom is in the master bedroom, and the second bathroom is right across the hallway from David's bedroom.  In general, Rich and I use only the bathroom in our bedroom, and David is supposed to use the bathroom across from his bedroom.  However, David loves to use our bathroom.  I don't know if it's because he likes looking at the reading material we have in there, or if it's just the thrill of doing what he knows he's not supposed to do. 

Like most children, David does not hide his "sin" well.  He never flushes the toilet when he uses our bathroom.  When he uses his bathroom he always flushes...  go figure.  Anyway, we've become accustomed to having surprises waiting for us when we walk into our bathroom, and the phrase we use is "David's left his mark!"  We know he was there by what he left behind.

As Christians, do we leave our mark anywhere?  Are there signs of happier people, lightened loads, cheered spirits in our paths?  Or maybe people didn't even realize we came through - we were so self-absorbed that we failed to acknowledge anyone else we saw.  Or worse yet, maybe we left a trail of people who were hurt, neglected or abused.

Everywhere I go I want to leave people feeling better than when I got there.  I want to leave my mark of friendliness, kindness, generosity, hope and love.  I want people to know God was with me and that I left God with them, too. 

What kind of mark do you leave?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Amen! This is my desire too.